Nation is remembering Major Tufail Muhammad Shaheed on his 63rd martyred anniversary.

Born on 22nd July in 1914 in Hoshiarpur city of the eastern Punjab, was assigned to launch an offensive against Indian forces in the area of Lakshmipur in August 1958.

Major Tufail Muhammad faced heavy resistance from enemy, but carried on with his mission and embraced martyrdom.

He was awarded with Nishan-e-Haider, Pakistan’s highest military award for his courage and bravery.

Director General Inter-Services Public Relations, on his official twitter handle paid tribute to the legendary officer and wrote, “Nation salutes Major Tufail Muhammad Shaheed; second recipient of Nishan-e-Haider, on his 63rd martyrdom anniversary. His fortitude, determination and valour remain hallmarks of a soldier who dares to fulfil his mission at all costs”.

Meanwhile, legendary soldier of Pakistan Army Major Tufail Muhammad Shaheed was paid rich tributes for his unforgettable services for the country.

He is the second recipient of Nishan-e-Haider and commissioned in the 16 Punjab regiment in 1943.

In August 1958, Indian troops captured a village in East Pakistan following which Major Tufail divided his men in three groups and it was decided that they would launch the assault during the dark hours of 7th August.

He encircled an illegal Indian post, which violated the internationally recognized boundary between the two countries.

When major Tufail group was about fifteen yards from enemy, they came under heavy fire and three bullets entered major’s stomach.

Despite the shower of blood from his stomach, he kept moving forward and silenced the machine gun with a grenade.

Though fatally wounded, Major Tufail crawled towards the enemy commander and continued directing the operation until the enemy was driven out leaving behind four dead and three prisoners.

Due to loss of so much blood, Major Tufail fell on the ground, and then got up and said to his officer “I have completed my duty, the enemy is on the run”.

Major Tufail was taken to hospital but later died the same day, the 7th August 1958 and was buried in Burewala.